Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Poem and Pictures

Soil for legs
Axe for hands
Flower for eyes
Bird for ears
Mushroom for nose
Smile for mouth
Songs for lungs
Sweat for skin
Wind for mind
---Nanao Sakaki

I spent a wonderful afternoon in Seattle with Terry Berg in her studio learning the fine art of polaroid and emulsion transfer. She is a wonderful teacher, I had a blast, and I learned so much. I seem to learn best through *mistakes* and so it was with this as well. The photos and transparencies I brought and wanted to use were either on the dark side or lacked the dramatic contrast I would have liked, but I learned and practiced the basic techniques and feel confident enough to experiment on my own should I decide to buy a Day Lab at some point. I tweeked these transfers a bit in photoshop to make them more viewable - I will incorporate them into a painting at some point in the future.

I made a transfer of my latest painting/collage:


A photograph of a doorway I took in Mexico layered with papers


Another photograph from Mexico - I love doorways


And yet another doorway - one of my favorite things to photograph

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

What anmazing pictures! I love doorways too!

Tara's Art Camp said...

I tried to post all day yesterday, blogger was not cooperating.

Anyway, I love these Katie. I wish I had more time to try new things. You are soooo talented.

Tara