Tuesday, April 04, 2006

birdsong and crystal rainbows

after another late night, i slept in this morning. what a blessing, this life i am living...if only i could carry that appreciation with me every moment. The sunshine is bright and the morning sky is solid blue, above the hum of the computer i hear the clear sound of bird song. our sun/moon prism hanging in the window is broadcasting transparent rainbows all around the room...magic!
too often i can't appreciate just how wonderful this precious life is - today is one of the days i do and I feel grateful.

we live in a river valley, where many evenings the fog often rolls in from the west as the sun begins to set. i walked around with my camera last night until dark, trying to capture the fog...but, as i should have known, fog is too illusive for me, always playing games, just out of my reach. i did get this shot of our beautiful old walnut tree; i changed some of the lighting in photoshop as the shot was almost black. i love that tree and this photo captures a glimpse of it's character. the wise old tree is barren now, there are no meats inside the hard shells that fall onto the ground.



Here is a poem from one of my very favorite poets, Naomi Shihab Nye

"The Song"
From somewhere
a calm musical note arrives.
You balance it on your tongue,
a single ripe grape,
till your whole body glistens.
In the space between breaths
you apply it to any wound
and the wound heals.

Soon the nights will lengthen,
you will lean into the year
humming like a saw.
You will fill the lamps with kerosene,
knowing somewhere a line breaks,
a city goes black,
people dig for candles in the bottom drawer.
You will be ready. You will use the song like a match.
It will fill your rooms
opening rooms of its own
so you sing, I did not know
my house was this large.

1 comment:

Misty Mawn said...

It's beautiful Katie!!! So glad you shared it!
I have been thinking of you bunches!!! A very emotional time right now, I think I am detoxing.