Tuesday, December 05, 2006

reading books and drinking tea


Oh, and most importantly, spending a lot of time playing with my grandchildren. Here they are in the snow, having a ball. Weird we've had snow on the ground here for over a week - it's just not warm enough to melt it.

I'm off to a slow start today, so I thought I'd slow it down even father by spending some time on the computer, cruising blogs and websites, googling, you know... I AM teaching myself Photoshop Elements, and I try to put in at least a half hour a day into that. I bought an excellent book called Photoshop Elements 3; the Missing Manual by Barbara Brundage. The best manual I've found to date, and one I can easily understand, which, coming from a lopsided right-brainer, says a lot! I look forward to learning the tools well enough that I can figure out how to do whatever it is I want to do with photos and artwork.

I've spent lots of time lately holed up under my soft, worn, quilt with a cups of hot tea and a book. Just as I have several projects going at the same time in my art, i have several reads going at the same time. I devoured 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath in three days and I'm now well into 'Ariel; The Restored Edition', also by Plath. I'm reading 'the WAR of ART', a book recommended by artist Lesley Riley, and am finding this book to be an absolute gem at addressing resistance I might have in any area of my life. My bedtime read is 'Pilgrim at Tinker Creek' by Annie Dillard and I've got her book "Teaching a Stone to Talk" at the ready when I finish Pilgrim. I also just bought a copy of 'Anne Sexton; The Complete Poems' that I'm reading bits at a time. I'm so grateful to be reading again; there was quite a stretch recently, when i just wasn't able to read much, but a new medication I'm on is making it possible once again, and opening back up a whole new world for me.

I hope you are all doing well, finding some enjoyment in the changing of the seasons.

11 comments:

Shelby said...

I'm interested in the Photoshop Elements .. I'm so new and don't know much about it. I've ordered The Joy of Photogrpahy and will be excited to get started with that. Take care and have a great rest of the day:)

Pam Aries said...

It is interesting...but I am not a fan of photoshop! I personally think that it takes away from art! I have seen some things done with it that are pretty intriguing...but a lot of things look fake-y! Now.... . that is my take on it... don't take it personally! ha! I have been SO inspired by YOUR art, as you know! Thak you !!!!

Pam Aries said...

Oh...I wasn't thinking about stuff like banners and such! In that case...I guess photoshop would help! I was afraid you were going to start doing art utilizing it!heh heh! As I said..YOUR art is so awesome...I can feeeeel it!

Miss Robyn said...

Hi Katie - thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! aren't grandkids the best? I have two grandsons and no snow
:( ahh well - we have the beach, I guess :)
enjoy those books xoxo

One Crabapple said...

mmmm- this time out you are taking rolled up in your quilt with tea and books sound heavenly to me !!!

I love your painting The Journey.

and I am grateful for these links and books information...I did not know Leslie Riley had that book ! thank you!!!

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself. And rmeinding us all that it is time to go a little slower and go within and learn and study so that in the Spring we can use the rest and the new info and GROW !

Love, S.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog Honey Bee...am missing you too. So disappointed that you cannot make AnS in May, but of course Grandbabies take precedence...hands down!
Perhaps we can drag you across to the East coast and hook up with Leslie at the same time?
I have been snuggling up under the blanket and keeping warm here too..reading my Photoshop mags and lots of crimey novels!
Keep on with the PSElements! ..always another tool in your bag of tricks when you want a break from paints.
You'll love Bern's book. Your cards are awesome too.
xoxox
hugs
Marie

A bird in the hand said...

Is that Violet?? My gosh, she's grown. (Duh!!)

I'm a reader too, always without fail at bedtime, and I have a little pile of books to read so I never run out!

xox

Anonymous said...

A-a-aw! Those little cheribs are completely darling! How angelic they look. Just precious.
Your hiatus holed up in the quilt with tea and books sounds yummy. I'll have to look up some of those books you mentioned. They sound interesting. As always, I'm inspired by the latest posts of your art - particularly the journal page... Keep 'em coming.
Sallyt

Samm said...

What a great pile of books Katie! I'm a bookaholic myself and have 3 beside the bed at the moment... now I'm going to have to add to it!!! "pilgrim" appeals for some reason so maybe I'll try that one first!
xo
oh, and while you're toasty and warm under the quilt, we're toasty and warm with 33 degree (celcius) plus days and bushfires raging all over the state. I still wonder at the extreme differences of the planet - such a complex being our earth don't you think?

Anonymous said...

i do love anne sexton. she was the first confessional poet i came across. she made me feel so much better about being me. but i have to be careful with her. i don't think i would do well to read her and sylvia together. pieces of me might melt away. but there would be some very keen artwork to come out of it. wishing you pleasant sojourns into languid afternoons with books and tea, katie.

Anonymous said...

E and V are so precious! I could just lose myself in their chunky little chimpmunk cheeks.

I'm sorry you are feeling well. I'm glad you are planning to go to the Doctor--just to be sure everything is ok. We're at that time in our lives when the bodies will start going to hell-in-a handbasket, in-a-hurry!

Thanks for the recommendation of a Photoshop elements book! I NEED something I can understand too (or a week w/ Marie :D)

feel better
xoxs
Carla