Thursday, March 30, 2006

fun times in seattle

i had a great time, came home feeling very happy :-)

i picked up my dear friend Misty Mawn and new friend Melanie Komisarski from the airport yesterday afternoon.

First stop on the way to our hotel was the big Daniel Smith Store where we all stocked up on art supplies. I
purchased two moleskin sketchbooks that so many of my friends are raving about, a tube of Quinachronome Gold
oil paint, several black coptic markers and a roll of rice paper....don't know exactly why i needed that.

next stop was the infamous goodwill outlet store...OMG!!! to think i live across the sound from this gold mine
and had never been there. i think it may be a monthly adventure for me now. it was a new experience for both of
them as well and we all came away with a bag of treasures. Mine included this funky chair in the photos here -
just had to have it. i didn't remember till we got out to the car though that we had no extra room...it was stuffed
to the brim with their luggage. Luckily Melanie assured me she didn't mind having a part of the chair lie across her
lap. I also found an old butternut coffee tin, a big rusty broken flashlight, a beautiful dress made in the far east, a heavy
wool sweater i felt for purses, the cutest little jean jacket in the world for my granddaughter violet and more odds and
ends. all for under $15....whooo hoo!!! now you understand why my studio looks like it does - these things call to
me but i can only take on one project at a time.


next stop was Hotel Max...what a fun place - lots of stimulation and inspiration for artists. There are huge photo
prints that cover the doors of each room and original artwork in each room. My room had an interesting acrylic abstract
piece, Misty and Melanie's room had a gorgeous encaustic piece. My room was small and cozy, just right for me.

the bed
was comfortable (i'm picky) and it had 4 plump soft pillows and was covered by a soft, warm comforter...it made the perfect
little nest. Our rooms were on the 7th floor and my window looked out at the space needle about 6 blocks away. lots of traffic
and hub-bub, quite the shift in scenery and energy for this country girl.


We ate a delicious dinner that evening at the Snappy Dragon with Bernie Berlin and friends.

At 7:30 the next morning we were out the door to do some exploring of the city on foot. first stop was Starbucks for a tasty latte.
we then headed over the the pike place market where the produce vendors were setting up. we stopped at a bakery for muffins.we all took
lots of photos - i posted a few of them here. i'll post more later.

Misty surprised me with a wonderful collection of gifts...i loved everything see picture below. The golden box she painted
was filled a variety of teas and a lovely little ceramic tea saucer she made.

i got them back to the airport on time to catch their shuttle to Port Townsend for ArtFest. It's the first time either of them have attended
and they were both so excited - i hope they will have a fun and memorable adventure.

tomorrow i drive up to Port Townsend to help Laurie Mika at her table for vendor's night. i'm excited to have the chance to see art friends for a brief
time even though i didn't attend classes there this year.

Well, that's my update for now... wishing you all a beautiful day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it sure sounds like you are having a WONDERFUL time!! Lead me to that Goodwill Store...I am DROOLING over that chair!!! And I can't believe that you got that (along with various other goodies)for under $15.00!!! WOW..I'm shopping in the wrong places.

Have fun at Artfest!

Misty Mawn said...

Hi Katie,
I made it home....OMG am I over flowing with emotion...it was everything and more that I needed at this point in my life.
What a great set of pictures, You are so beautiful!!! I can't tell you enough how much I loved being with you! You are so much a part of me! Thank you!!!!!
xoxoxo I miss you!
Love, Misty