Monday, November 06, 2006

a practice sketch

After reading DJ Pettitt's last couple posts, i'm motivated to start drawing. i've always been afraid of drawing and never been good at realistic renditions, but i'd really like to be. i'm going to start with 20 minutes a day, which will probably turn into longer because it is so much fun, the goal is the regularity of the practice. here is drawing one, a picture of a woman in a book. I used the position of her hands and body in the last painting i did. i turned the book upside down to draw her as that works much better for me at this point. someday, i hope to be able to draw things right side up so i won't have to stand on my head :-)

there is an very talented artist in our community who is willing to give me drawing lessons in her studio; i'm planning on doing that after the holidays.

I hope you're all having a great monday!

7 comments:

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

Hi Katie...

Here are some words of encouragement. My college Drawing 1 teacher told me that it is a learned skill... so just keep on keepin' on... you will only get better and better. I have found that to be very true! I was SCARED to death to take figure drawing (the last and of course hardest college drawing course). However, I surprised myself by making an "A" but ONLY with LOTS of hard work and practice.

I LOVE your sketch...

=)

Anonymous said...

I love your drawings!!! I always draw everything too realistically! I'm taking a colored pencil class, and it's so much fun to be drawing again!!!! Right now I'm getting to be an expert on Fall fruits and veggies!

Pam Aries said...

Wow..I always felt that I could never draw 'realistically'. Only recently have I accepted that I draw 'impressionistically' and that is ME! We all see the world differently! And that is how it's meant to be! uhh..Poetically.?.!!?Pam...silly me..

Anonymous said...

Wow, Katie..I think your drawing looks pretty good! If we played Pictionary, I'd take you on MY team..LOL! I would LOVE to learn to draw! You are so lucky to have found someone in your area who will help you with lessons. I can't wait to see your progress over the next few months! Of course, I think all of the drawings used on your dolls have been fantastic..don't know why you need lessons!

Laini Taylor said...

Have fun with the drawing -- it CAN be wonderful, and it can be horrible, but even following the horrible, the moment of sitting back and seeing what you've done, it's such a feeling of accomplishment! And the learning curve is so fast and steep when you stick with it. Enjoy!

Erika Tysse said...

I remember in art school that they always said to make your line interesting. I never could get that, but I see that you do! You are on to something here!

Eric and Family said...

Hey Katie,
Love your drawing! MUCH more interesting than "realistic"....realism (it seems) is highly overrated! I love your Impressionistic rendering...full of life and personality!

Can't wait for your class in January!

Diane